Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:13:17 -0400

B.D Colen writes:

> Tina - The need for large file sizes is NOT exaggerated if you want to
> produce decent size prints at good resolution. First off, while
> newspapers can and do use small files because they print at low
> resolution, I know that when I wrote and shot a story for Newsday last
> summer, they wanted files of 11 meg, which while not huge, are hardly
> small.
>
> And while we all think chromes and high-res when we think of magazines,
> I'd be surprised to learn than Newsweek is printing at 300 dpi - and it
> wouldn't surprise me to learn that the res. on their cover is lower than
> that.

B.D.

I would be very surprised if Newsweek or any other print magazine is less
than 300 dpi. It is a simple fact of life that printing at less than 300 dpi
is, lo-rez.

And, my biggest monthly problem is many of the pictures sent to me every
month for publication are 72 dpi, sent by people who should know better.
So after being yelled at by my printer hundreds of time, I have banned all
digi cam pictures.

sl

Replies: Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (RE: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.)