Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.now hasselblads
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:31:40 -0800

Don Dory wrote:

> Frank, yes, the new Hasselblad 645 has Fuji lenses as well as a Fuji body.
> Hasselblad dipped their toe in Fuji with the X-pan and apparently the
> venture went well enough that the new camera was brought out.
>
> Don
> dorysrus@mindspring.com
>
> --

What has done the most to erode Hasselblad sales than any other effect?

I believe it was the 645 cameras which gave you 35mm SLR handling and
features in medium format film.
32 on a roll of 220 which is darn close to 36 for 35mm.
For someone used to his SLR and moving into medium format it's bound to
look more attractive than a cube shaped camera from Sweden with a mirror
in it which does nothing but go "click."

The 645 format is also effective in rangefinder cameras.

Compare the results on a 20x24 print between a 645 neg and a 6x7 or 6x9
neg and the differences are barley discernible.
The big advantages to 6x7 and 6x7 is it's presentation value on the
light table.
Also the results from 645 against 6x6 are not worth mentioning. 645
being the shape 6x6 becomes when it is frequently cropped into a
rectangle anyway.

For Hasselblad tot get into 645 was a smart business move.  A discission
i suspect was made a while back before it was bought out last month. But
for seven grand? that's what i saw it being sold for in the Calumet brochure.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Website: http://www.rabinergroup.com