Subject: Re: [Leica] BD, M7, it probably won't need repair
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:45:10 -0500

Ladies and Gentleman,
Discussing making parts is probably less pleasurable than discussing new
single malts to try.  Realistically, the M's don't wear out.  Adjustments,
lubrication, new curtains, re-silvering the prisms might be needed but new
parts?

I have a 1935 Contax III that has seen hard, hard use but the shutter still
fires within tolerances.  I have a 1936 III that needed some lubrication but
it still functions fine.  I have a 1950 IIIF that functions fine and it too
saw hard use for decades.  My M3 is from 1960 and it also saw decades of
hard, hard use and still gets weekly exercise.  Jim Marshall's M4 saw how
many thousand rolls of film and it functions.

One of the reasons so many on this list appreciate the equipment that we
occasionally talk about here is that it is well designed and engineered for
the work it is asked to do.  It is realistic to talk in terms of a 50 year
half life, maybe longer.

Last, if you do ever need a part, there are all those collector camera's
that are never fired, the owner would never miss a few gears and maybe a
prism. :)

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (RE: [Leica] BD and the M7)