Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW wk 8/sl
From: "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:17:15 +0100

> There aren't any real blacks and whites, lots of mid tones.  If It came
from
> a print, I'd say you need to use a harder grade of paper and expose for
some
> some darker tones.  If you did it in photoshop, bring the left hand slider
> in the levels pane up a bit.  Have a look at Brian Steven's Pics, he does
an
> excellent job with contrast.
>
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/bds/folder-4110.html
>
> Of course, you may think I'm talking crap and that's OK.
>
> Neil

I noticed this critisicm a lot.And would like to ask why the lack of black
and white is so important.
If a scene hardly has them and you put them in with whatever method,isn,t
that manipulation?
For instance after reading kodak literature i tried to expose Tmz as iso 400
and develop as 1600 or greater.
Kodak describes and i agree the gain in shadow detail .Even more so they
describe this quality as fenomenal and they dont do this for any other film
i think.However the overall contrast is very limited but i like it allthough
it is not very dramatic.
Maybe you have a reference for me wher i could read up on theory regarding
this subject?
Thanks
simon j