Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:02:15 -0500

An 11 meg file when converted to grayscale for B&W, which I do, becomes
about a 3 to 4 meg file, which leaves very little if any room for
manipulation, particularly to produce large prints. And if you get
better gray scale files from a gray scale conversion of an image that
started as an 11 meg color digital file than you do with what I assume
is a 4000 dpi - or 20 meg 8 bit scan of a T-Max neg, you are doing
something very very wrong with your T-Max. I shoot and scan tri-x, and I
shoot with a camera that produces uncompressed Tiffs of over 11 meg -
and the two simply cannot be compared when producing prints larger than
about 8x10 - certainly not 16x20s.

And, while I understood that you paid for your Digilux, am I not correct
in understanding that you were included in the Cape Cod - Park
Square/Leica underwritten - photo workshop to give a workshop
specifically on the Digilux? That, to me, is doing promotional work for
Leica. God knows there's nothing wrong with it - I'd be happy to do such
work! - but it might have some impact on your view of the quality of how
those 11 meg color tiffs, which reduce to 3-4 meg grayscale tiffs,
produce 16x20s that are superior to 20 meg grayscale scans of film. ;-)

B. D.