Subject: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:14:01 +0100

>In the last digest, a lot was said about the longevity of Leica
>products.
>    However, a couple of points were left out.
>    Leica AG has always offered repair service for all its cameras.
From >the eariliest model A to the most recent M7s and R9s.  This type
of service >is a good sell point.
>    Some of the distributorship, can not repair some of the older
cameras,
>such as Leica USA won't work on screw mount cameras, but Germany will.
>    Assuming they survive, why wouldn't they continue this policy?>
>    As to the electronics, Leica is making their own circuit boards in
>Portugal. So having parts should not be a problem.
>Happy Snaps,
>Sal

Hi Sal

I don't see the problem in the longevity of the products but in the
future of the firm. In modern times  such a tiny market has not in my
personal opinion a clear future. Only Canon, a true giant has some
guarantees of survival. Hasselblad found his way with some kind of
alliance with Fuji, the another photo giant, and even Nikon, owned by
Mitsubishi, has not a clear future. So I don't see the advantage oh
having extraordinary lasting cameras if I cannot get another one or
parts if in the future the manufactures is gone.

Kind regards

Felix

PS Who kept the M6 Classic but bought a M7 too

Replies: Reply from "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch> (Re: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products)