Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:29:48 -0800

At 12:02 PM 2/22/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>  And if you get
>better gray scale files from a gray scale conversion of an image that
>started as an 11 meg color digital file than you do with what I assume
>is a 4000 dpi - or 20 meg 8 bit scan of a T-Max neg, you are doing
>something very very wrong with your T-Max.

It's kind of like the difference between a darkroom print and a quad-black
inkjet print.  They are different animals.  I happen to prefer the look
that I get with the quad-black inks, but that is a matter of
preference.  One is not better or worse than the other. The difference in
the scanned film and the digital file is the lack of grain in the digital
file.  Some like that look, some don't. Unless I'm doing photographs of
peeling paint or bench tests of lenses,  I hope that the content of the
photograph provokes more comments than the method used to achieve it.  I'll
go with the best means available to get the photograph I want.  Right now,
that is the M7 and TMax film in some situations and the Digilux and a
Secure Digital card in others.  One is not better or worse than the other ;-)

>And, while I understood that you paid for your Digilux, am I not correct
>in understanding that you were included in the Cape Cod - Park
>Square/Leica underwritten - photo workshop to give a workshop
>specifically on the Digilux? That, to me, is doing promotional work for
>Leica. God knows there's nothing wrong with it - I'd be happy to do such
>work! - but it might have some impact on your view of the quality of how
>those 11 meg color tiffs, which reduce to 3-4 meg grayscale tiffs,
>produce 16x20s that are superior to 20 meg grayscale scans of film. ;-)

Ask anybody who was at the seminar and looked closely at the 16x20 print
that I passed around of the doctor and the young woman with the baby.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

photos available from: