Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica MP -- Yes, it's true!
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:19:52 -0500

Karen:

Building a zoom viewfinder would not be that tough of a task.  The
X-pan has one.  However, if it were clear and easy to see, it would be
huge from front to back.  Because the viewfinder is itself a galilean
telescope, the dimension would need to be twice as big at a 2x  setting
to maintain the same relative brightness (i.e., f/stop).

Canon did a variable mag viewfinder (actually, a couple of variations)
in the 1950s.  It had a fuzzy-edged RF spot, reflected framelines and a
tendency to come apart.  Even in its best incarnation, in the VI
series, it was so-so.  The Canon design is flatly incompatible with the
projected framelines that Leicas have.

Where Leica has really fallen short is in making field-compensating
viewfinders.  In 1959, at least three cameras (selling for 1/4 to 1/2
the price of an M3) were out that showed 95% of the field at all
distances, not just 90% at 10 feet, as the Leica did.

Even if it is impractical to combine shrinking-field framelines with a
6-frame finder, I would have loved to see, say, an 0.72 M6 with only
35mm frames (but fully parallax and field corrected) or a 0.85x with
only 50mm.  You could actually get two sets of framelines in - a Konica
IIIM has full-and-half frame 35mm lines like this; the Koni-Omega has
lines for the 90 and 180; and the Fuji G690 and G670 have 100 and 150
lines.  That of course depends on your having the presence of mind to
remember what lenses you are using.

Dante