Subject: [Leica] NEWBIE Q - lens names...
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:57:14 -0800

I'm sure this is mentioned in the thousands of books/websites and thousands
times in the archive, but can anyone please summarize to this newbie the
different lens "brands?" From what I gather -

1 - 'lux is the wide aperture lenses, f1/ 1.2, and 1.4
2 - summicron is the "best" overall lens, usually start with f2
3 - elmarit and summarit are the small sized, small aperture (2.8 and
higher) lens

What do the prefix noctui-, summi-, and elmar- mean? I guess noctui- is
related to "night" or imply wide aperture. How about the others.

Please don't get mad if this is so trivially obvious or stupid. The delete
key is only a few inches away.

Thanks.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>