Subject: Re: [Leica] Just played with am MP --- and BD and an order of Magnitude
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:40:48 -0500

one new thing is that this is the first leica which is available
in chrome with high magnification finder, classic M3 form factor and
classic dial layout since the m3, and the first ever with on-board
metering.  (the 5000-odd .85 classics were all black).

i've always liked the chrome cameras, and the high-mag finders, but not
the dial layout or "square" shape of the TTLs and 7s.  so amazingly enough,
i actually fit the demographic of an MP buyer!!

- -rei

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:41:21PM -0400, Edward Caliguri wrote:
>     But I just messed around with am MP at Newtonville Camera. It's just a
> black paint M6 Classic with a kind of 'weird' sharkskin - like covering
> material. The rewind knob is the M3 style as you know, as well as the
> preview lever. Meter is the same as the M6 - NO TTL flash - with the Leica
> script on the top plate (JUST says Leica - nothing under it) For around
> 2500.00 dollars. (90 bucks more will get you the add on rewind crank of old,
> and 900.00 or so the Leicavit M (which I did not see). The shutter speed
> dial runs the 'old' way around ( as opposed to the M6ttl or M7) and the B
> setting also says 'off'. No black Leica dot - just a screw head, and the
> frame line illuminator window is not the M3 frosted version, but the grating
> used on all subsequent cameras.
>     In a nutshell, it ain't worth it! Good news is that our older M6's just
> went up in value! bad news - Leica has nothing new here.

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Replies: Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Just played with am MP --- and BD and an order of Magnitude)