Subject: Re: [Leica] R9
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:47:44 -0500

Bill,
Oh my, the temerity to ask an on topic question. :)

First, to try out new things don't fight your basic impulses.  So, to try
out the borrowed rig, find the most saturated color print film you can find,
say some Agfa Ultra, or some Kodak Supra or even the Fuji 100 speed.

Now, think of some places near you that do not require quick focus so your
unfamiliarity with the camera will cause missed shots.  It could be optical
extraction of details within the whole, it could be your favorite coin or
stamp collection, it could be some portraits that you have been meaning to
do for a long time but just haven't gotten around to it.

Now shoot what you want to but tend to use larger F stops than you normally
do.  Try some wide open shots when you wouldn't think of doing that.  Also
tend to think in terms of capturing details that normally don't show up too
well.  Oh, did I mention that you were going to do duplicate shots with your
current rig?

Process the film, find two or three and have well done 11X enlargements
done.  Look carefully at the images.  If you don't see any meaningful
difference, or a difference that you care about then you have made the
correct choice all along, thank your friend for the chance to try out his
Leica's and enjoy your photography.   However, if you see wonderful detail
where before you didn't then I advise you to set up a living trust so that
you do not squander your families fortune on the Leica habit.

Either way, you will have the support of many on this list.  Some just don't
see the point of the overpriced Leica gear, others would not be without it.
I am one of those that finds a visual difference in the Leica glass that
makes the image really pop for me, so my wife checks all bags as they enter
the house just so she can move the money around to cover the expense.

Have a wonderful time and let us know how it comes out.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com