Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:18:44 +0100

>So I have had an M7 for one year now.
>I love using it and have seen great improvement in my technique and results.
>But I have this creeping sense of guilt...
>Especially when I look at my camera with its 35 1.4 asph  and 24 asph and
>think:
>!@#%! Did I really spend nearly six thousand dollars on all that?
>Yes - I sold lots of equipment (and an antique telephone!) to fund it all -
>But the guilt grows.
>
>I am sure to incite a lot of flaming - But just wondering if anyone else
>feels this way.
>
>Just a Sunday morning pondering...
>
>And then I think - "well hey - at least I didn't blow 100k on a Porsche.."

I know the feeling.......  I've had two M7s for a few months, upgraded from M6s

So I did some calculations. Each of the M6s had lost ten Euro (that´s
ten dollars more or less) per month during the time I had had them,
five and three years respectively. Ten Euro will buy three packs of
cigarettes or less than ten liters of gasoline here. For the pleasure
that I have had (LUG included), the Leica money has been well spent.
The same monthly amount was the depreciation on my 90 APO -Asph that
I also got rid of recently (too big, too heavy, too little use, too
much money)

But then I never buy new, I try to spend two-thirds of list price, or
less, for almost new items. Takes some waiting for the opportunity,
but it is worth it.

And I would not spend money on a 1.4 lens. Too much extra money for
one stop  ...with less DOF

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist