Subject: Re: [Leica] The new MP is out for auction
From: Patrick Jelliffe <pbjbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:15:48 -0800 (PST)

In the days before ebay, it was very difficult for a
private individual to get a fair market price for used
gear.  A good shop might offer you 60% of what they
would sell your gear for.  Dealers advertising in
Shutterbug were a little better, but not much. In '95,
at a particularly low financial point, I  attempted to
sell a Mint M3 in New York.  B&H offered me $450.
Flyers posted at all the decent pro labs in Manhattan
brought zero results.  Ended up shipping it to Jim
Kuehl, who gave me $700.  It probably would have
fetched a 1,200 or more from a collector somewhere.
Ebay has brought a level playing field to buying and
selling.  Is that so wrong?

Patrick