Subject: [Leica] Auction site
From: Don Lawrence <DLawrence@fkp.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:27:30 -0600

Mark,
Some of us suffer from 'gear head syndrome'. Do not confuse us with
collectors.
In general we are not dependent upon photography as a profession.
Characteristically we strive to take great photos and
spend endless hours working at it, while taking a thrill from the
acquisition and use
of different cameras.

If it happens to be a finely crafted camera (Leica, Contax,
Rollei...etc.)then
it heightens the expectations of the photographic
experience as well as the anticipation of achieving great results.

Some gear heads I have met take this to the extreme, trying everything from
a kite mounted aerial system to large format systems.
In most cases these the folks are easily identified. Frequently showing up
around loved ones
with different cameras prompting comments like "how many cameras to you have
anyway?".
Swap meets are full of them. These people find ebay a excellent source to
feed
their needs.

While you are right trading equipment is not photography, the entire cycle
of use
by these people creates markets and fuels the whole photographic enterprise.

I confess to falling into the cycle on many occasions. I have a strong
appreciation for
the process and camera gear!

Except for some reason that I haven't fully fathomed yet, digital cameras
just don't
do it for me. At least up to now, they seem quickly outdated and overall
rather ephemeral.

Regards
Don Lawrence