Subject: [Leica] Now that Leica glo' no mo ---
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:55:57 -0800

So what do you y'all think of this editorial from Dante's site:
www.dantestella.com. Does any of you have experience similar to Erwin's? I
think it this is just shilling from Erwin, but then what do I know? Of
course he wrote something equally dramatic for the new MP experience too.
So... thoughts? As usual, I suspect it has been discussed before, but would
be interesting to hear the thoughts now given the M7 and the new MP....

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/rangefinder.html:
Quote from another website, I am sure it is from Erwin Puts' site
somewhere, as I was mightily intrigued and confused when I ran into it
myself -- // richard
***
— "When you close your eyes and pick up the Leica and the Hexar several
times, the difference in feeling and haptics emerges. When you hold the
Leica, your thumb slides behind the advance lever and your finger lays on
the shutter release button, which is sharp as a trigger. This simple and
intuitive act signifies to the brain a state of alert attention and you
fall into the mood of a hunter or an active sportsperson anticipating the
moves of the other players. When holding the Hexar, both hands hold the
body and wen your finger touches the release button, there is no trigger
effect. The finger just rests there and you do not get any feedback from
the body. So you switch almost automatically into a more passive state of
mind and allow the camera to work for you. That is easy to do as the
automatic functions of the camera (exposure, film transport, motorwinder)
are so well executed that you start to rely on them and even transfer
control to them. In fact you are starting to become an operator of the
camera, adjusting the wheels and not the driver who forces the camera to do
as he wants it to act."

And here's Dante's editorial remark:
***
— Whoa, Nelly! The above-statement was written by a noted Leica expert in
relation to two cameras that take the same lenses and have exactly the same
type viewfinder and focusing. Personally, I would like to see the EEGs of
people using Leicas and Hexar RFs before I swallow a statement like that.
While the writer is normally very organized and scientific in his methods,
I can't help but conclude that this statement is probably the clearest
proof that Leica (Leica, not other brands of similar equiment) is a
religion. Isn't a camera supposed to work for you?! Ifyou want to talk
haptics and concentration, there is nothing that breaks the concentration
of a left-eyed shooter faster than putting you right thumb in your right
eye while winding an M3. Talk about tactile. I'd rather take the shot and
forget about the "experience" of taking the picture.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>