Subject: Re: [Leica] Now that Leica glo' no mo ---
From: Patrick Jelliffe <pbjbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:50:59 -0800 (PST)

At the risk of starting an intersine spat regarding
the discussion of intellectual property that may not
have had the permission of the author to be posted
here...

The best experience I had with a Hexar was zone
focusing, because I could never focus well with that
finder.  Motor drive is sweet, as is the AE, but I was
frustrated most of the time when focusing critically,
wide open and close--a nightmare. Shutter lag also
frustrating, and the noise of the advance. Had the
lens mount shimmed for the back focus problem, and
there was some improvement, but still not up to
snuff..  Sold the first RF, then about a year later
thought about buying another, because you want to like
it, "it's so full of features".

A LHSA member invited me over to look at an RF he was
selling for a friend.  Before we got to the sale, he
showed me his amazing collection of screw mount
Leicas, as well as several M's he'd CLA'd.  I was in
heaven, with SHNOO's on the SM cameras, and Leicavits
on the M's.  Everything adjusted to perfection.  And
yes, with every model, my hands fell naturally on the
contrals, and it was intuitive.  I felt like I was in
the middle of a harem.

Then, he handed me the Hexar, and it was a no-brainer
to pass on it immediately. LHSA guy just smiled. Lots
of bells and whistles, but it felt like the automatic
transmission 4 cylinder economy car that was the last
car left when I landed at midnight in a snowstorm in
Denver.  Yeah, it'll get you there, but so would
walking.  Gimmie the BMW 3.0cs with dual Webers and 5
speed.  I have to agree with Erwin on this one, and I
think he truly attempted to be objective  with the
Konica.  I WANTED to like it.  The sine qua non of
Leica is spiritual fervor, and cannot be explained.

Patrick

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/rangefinder.html: