Subject: [Leica] distortion figures real vs photoshop
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 03:07:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everyone.
Gee I'm full of questions today.
Was wondering. Assuming you ar photographing a subject
with lots of straight lines, at what point does
optically induced distortion start to become apparant
in terms of percentage. I'm asking because I've seen
lots of wideangles with figures quoted in the 1 - 2%
region and I can't detect any distortion, barrel or
pincusion. On the other yhand if I add 1 percent
distortion to an image in photoshop it's easy to tell.
Is photoshop using optically faithful simulations of
distortion or is it something else. One of the reasons
I'm interested in knowing this is that I'de like to
undistort some images taken with my slightly better
than mediocre tokina 24-200 AT-X zoom which distorts
at almost every focal length but PS won't really
flatten them out properly.
Javier