Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm Skopar opinion(s) please
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 05:40:49 -0800

John Collier wrote:

> The 21/4 SA,  the 21/3.4 SA and the first version of the 28/2.8 all
> have large protruding rear elements that will either partially block
> the metering cell of the M6 cameras or physically block the metering
> cell of the CL and M5. If you use the any of the above lenses on a M5
> or CL, the lens mount has to be modified otherwise the meter cell arm
> will be broken. The later 21/3.4 SA came with the mount modified. On
> the M6, the lenses give readings about three stops too low. It is
> possible to modify the lens so that it is with a 1/3 stop or so. This
> URL has the details:
>
> http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/angulon_mod.html
>
> John Collier

Or get an MD to shoot with it!
I think a built in meter shooting through an ultrawide lens is a mixed
bag which can give disastrous results.

With a deal like that I'd rather take a few readings with a hand held.
Unless I'm in a huge hurry.
But lately I don't have time to be in a huge hurry.

Looks like you cant bring a PDF onto an email list like the LUG so I'm
uploading Jonathan Eastlands article to my own webspace so you can just
click on it here. I just read it sitting at my kitchen table. I recall
he said something to the tune of the MD being drop dead gorgeous and a
perfect picture taking machine and I doubt he's going to be wrong. At
least not wrong for me. He has lots of fascinating things to say about
it as well as the M6TTL and regular M6.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com