Subject: RE: [Leica] The Leica Glow
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:36:55 -0500

You're asking/talking to the wrong guy on this, Jerry, as I am not a
believer in the myth of "Leica glo." It is quite blurry, however, that
the older the lens in terms of modern optical development and
improvement, the more optical "defects" it had, and I believe that what
some call the Leica "glo" is the result of those defects. The pre-asph
35 Summilux, for example, glows like a 200 watt bulb - it's soft, and
it's flare-plagued. Some claim that's an assett - but of course some
claim that Michael Jackson is a model father...:-) The pre-asph Summilux
is a "legendary" lens. But it is legendary because, if I am not
mistaken, it was the first 35 1.4, which made it a must-have for PJs,
and it was wonderfully light and small. Many great images were made with
that lens. But it's still pretty awful optically. ;-0

B. D.