Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm Skopar opinion(s) please
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:00:53 -0800

>Pat
>
>My 21 mm f2.8 has an EARLIER serial number, it is retrofocus.
>and it fits and works on my CL.
>
>I choose to believe proven facts rather than a published opinion.
>
>You are welcome to come and see the combination for yourself.
>
>I respect Stephen Gandy, but I acknowledge that people do make
>errors.
>
>Jerry
>
>Patrick Jelliffe wrote:
>
>>  Jerry,
>>
>>  Stephen Gandy has some info you might find
>>  interesting.  Scroll down to the section "m lens
>>  incompatability".
>>
>>  Reagrds,
>>
>>  Patrick
>>
>  > http://cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm
>>

>>  --- Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>  > John
>>  >
>>  > Are you actually saying that the first version of
>>  > the 21mm f2.8
>>  > Elmarit was NOT a retrofocus lens, and thus would
>>  > foul the
>>  > meter on a CL?  I have one of the earliest ones of
>>  > that lens,
>>  > though it is beat up and has a scarred mount, it IS
>>  > retrofocus
>>  > and I use it regularly on my CL.
>>  >
>>  > Please explain why you said that. Do you know more
>>  > about
>>  > it than Laney and Putz?
>>  >
>>  > Jerry
>>  >
>>  > John Collier wrote:
>>  >
>>  > > The 21/4 SA,  the 21/3.4 SA and the first version
>>  > of the 28/2.8 all
>>  > > have large protruding rear elements that will
>>  > either partially block
>>  > > the metering cell of the M6 cameras or physically
>>  > block the metering
>>  > > cell of the CL and M5. If you use the any of the
>>  > above lenses on a M5
>>  > > or CL, the lens mount has to be modified otherwise
>>  > the meter cell arm
>>  > > will be broken. The later 21/3.4 SA came with the
>>  > mount modified. On
>>  > > the M6, the lenses give readings about three stops
>>  > too low. It is
>>  > > possible to modify the lens so that it is with a
>>  > 1/3 stop or so. This
>>  > > URL has the details:
>>  > >
>>  > > http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/angulon_mod.html
>  > > >
>  > > > John Collier

Jerry and Pat,

John was talking about the 1st _28mm_ Elmarit, not the 21. All
21/2.8's are and were retrofocus and cleared the meter. The first
28/2.8 was not. You misread John's post. Stephen is right as well.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com