Subject: [Leica] Analyser Pro
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:50:36 -0600

Charles,

Lately the Analyser Pro meter/timer has been the topic of much discussion on
a couple different lists I subscribe to. I sent this post yesterday to a man
on the pure silver list. You may find some kernels of value in it as well.

Lea

- -

I'm a new purchaser of the Analyser Pro...I've had it just over one week. In
that time I've had great success getting it calibrated and putting it to the
test. I'm sure I've also run poor Richard Ross nuts with my emails asking
questions...all of which he has very speedily and happily answered!

One of my biggest fears in getting the Analyser Pro was the learning
curve...was I going to have to shut down my darkroom for a few days to learn
to use the thing correctly? Hardly! I set it up, calibrated and used it on a
portait print job the next day without a hitch. I became very comfortable
using the analyser during the calibration process.

The machine is built just beautifully...very nice looking and feeling. The
measure probe is shaped well and easy to use. It comes with a foot pedal but
so far I'm not using mine...I'm in the habit of using my hands to flip on my
timer and old habits die hard.

What prompted my purchase of the Analyser Pro was my children's portrait
work...I do on-location work with small children in a variety of lighting
situations then print these as 5x7 proofs. The analyser allows me to place
the skin tones very quickly and accurately...no more honing in on an
exposure time to get things right. I place my skin and I'm where I want to
be. It seems amazingly simple and it is...so much so that I wonder why these
analysers aren't carried in every photo shop.

The hardest part for me was working in 'steps'...tho once you get the idea
of them firmly in mind they are the most logical way of thinking. I'm
printing using a Saunders 6700 VCCE enlarger (dial in filtration) and since
the analyser is calibrated for under the lens filters, I found it necessary
to calibrate. It's easy to do and by the time you are finished with it
you'll know the analyser inside out and upside down.

The timer can be used without using the meter...and I've had to do this
following notes to print some older negs...just punch in the time you want
and press print.

If you haven't run a google search for Analyser Pro or Zonemaster, you might
want to. I found some very valuable information on the web about this
machine...and every bit of it was positive. Not only that, I emailed Richard
before I purchased and asked some questions which were a great help in my
decision to purchase. All this coupled with his 14 day return policy...you
can't go wrong.

Hope I've been a bit of help.
Lea

Lea Murphy