Subject: Re: [Leica] Vulcanite
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:59:42 -0700

Vulcanite is not a lost process, it is just not field serviceable. The
heated material is applied to the shell and that is it. If it dries and
flecks off, you have to replace the complete shell. As far as I know,
NOS shells for M3/2/4 cameras are still available. When I recovered my
M2 I was quoted $500 for the part alone. I choose the stick on M6 style
covering for small fraction of that price. Now I would use these chaps:

http://www.cameraleather.com/

John Collier