Subject: Re: [Leica] laws for people photography
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:20:37 +0100

John

The issue of video surveillance is also under debate in Denmark, where
it is not (yet) nearly as widespread as in the UK, but becoming more
prevalent. Here in Switzerland the immigration police are planning to
install cameras at Zurich airport which will be linked to databases etc.
so that suspicious arrivals can be tracked. At the moment they are
talking about a trial phase, but civil liberties concerns have been
raised. Although in Switzerland, "security" wins over "liberty" every
time, so I am sure that if the technology works the cameras will stay.

Nathan

Johnny Deadman wrote:
> Could you name one of these countries?
>
> Canada is the only country I am aware of where there is any such issue.
> The Privacy Commissioner has expressed concern about municipalities or
> law enforcement using widespread surveillance cameras but that certainly
> doesn't mean there aren't any. There are lots. Moreover there are
> explicit exceptions within the privacy guidelines for artistic and
> journalistic endeavors.
>
> France and Quebec have stiffer privacy laws than other places but this
> only applies to the publication of photographs NOT the taking of them.
>
> John Brownlow

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland