Subject: [Leica] RE: BD & The Leicavit-M
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:37:58 -0500

Luggers,
    When the original question was posed to BD Colen, (Did he have any hands
on experience to evaluate the new Leicavit-M?), my intent was to question
his unsubstantiated negative comments.
    While, he may very well be correct. WITHOUT direct experience his
statement is meaningless.
    When anyone says anything positive about a Leica product, BD is the
first one to question their motives. Remember his attack on Erwin Puts, and
more recently, his questioning of  Tina Manley's motives about her positive
comments on the Digilux?
    One can not have it both ways. If he wants to question everyone's
positive comments, I want to question his negative comments.
    The Leicavit-M at this point in time,  is an untested item. There are
very few people on this list who are qualified to offer an unbiased
comparision of all three.
    Jerry Lehrer stated he has used the original Leicavit-MP and Tom
Abrahamsson's Rapidwinder and prefers Tom's winder. This is a vaild comment.
    On the other hand, I have been using Leicavit-MPs on all my M cameras
since 1971. I've had my M4s and M6s modified to accept the Leicavits and
keep the three prong loading. Also, I have and use a Rapidwinder. It is
smooth, efficient, and works very well, but I prefer the Leicavits. Tom
knows this, and I rentlessly tease him about it.  This is a valid comment
also.
    For the record, I have given presentations for Leica, done some
consulting for them, and have an excellent working relationship with them on
both sides of the Atlantic. This does not mean, I will not be critical of
the company, always accept the "company line." Constructive criticism is
always helpful.
    End of comment.
    A question, please... Someone stated Cosina "owns the Patent" on the
lock mechanism Leica used on the Leicavit-M. This doesn't make sense. (to me
at least)  How? Please explain further.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.