Subject: RE: [Leica] BD's tilting at windmills WAS US Consumer Behavior
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:47:17 -0800

On 3/7/03 bdcolen  wrote:

>But I am not suggesting that America's role in WWII, nor, for that
>matter, our huge expenditure of resources protecting Europe for the 45
>years of the Cold War, give us the right to expect anyone to ask "how
>high?" when the U.S. says jump - any more than the U.S. should
>automatically jump for France because the French saved us from Britain
>in the late 18th century, or because they gave use the Statue of
>Liberty. :-)

It's my opinion that Europe has very real reasons to want to limit American
power. We have different view points and different goals. I would wish our goals
were somewhat different.

On the other hand I think it's time Europe paid it's own way for its own
protection. They were willing to leave the their defense essentially in American
hands for the latter part of the Cold War. We won. Now they are finding the
consequences of their actions, just as we are struggling with the consequences
ourselves.

Alas, we are living in the "interesting times" oft mentioned in the Chinese
curse.

Plus, the real issue isn't Iraq, it's North Korea. Ask the Japanese.

Adam