Subject: Re: [Leica] Purely Mechanical (was Optimized Features of the Leica MP)
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 22:28:16 -0800

I keep reading this 'purely mechanical' description for the MP. But
from what I have read, the MP has a light meter integral to the camera,
making it a hybrid of mechanical and electronic components. I presume
the true lovers of 'purely mechanical' cameras simply avoid the
insertion of batteries into the MP (or M6)...

I like electronics. I like light meters in the viewfinders, and I like
the simple AE features of the M7. When my batteries die, and I have no
meter (and only two shutter speeds in the M7), I still manage to make
pictures. I struggle though, especially without the light meter. In
both the M6/MP and the M7 I think the balance of mechanical and
electronic features and components is just right.

- - marc