Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica focusing...HELP!
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:31:25 +0100

Lea,

have you got focusing tabs on your lenses? They are excellent for
intuitively pre-setting the distance without even looking at the
camera.

My 50 mm Summicron does not come with a focusing tab, but I have put
one on it. I use plastic strips like electricians use to bundle
cables (and the police use for handcuffing). I had to put two short
strips together and I have placed the two little locks at four and
eight o'clock when the lens is set to 2.5 meters. That way I can
easily preset distances pretty accurately which makes actual pin
point focusing quicker and easier than if you start from infinity or
an unknown setting. What you have to avoid is the need to reposition
your fingers on the lens during the focusing process. That is a real
time loser.

You wonder what my new M7s looks like? In addition to those plastic
strips, they have got a spirit level glued on to the top, and lots of
black or white tape.

Chris