Subject: RE: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:55:28 -0700

Well, perhaps you should take a look at what some of the blind artists have
created before you make a sweeping generalization. And to say that you can
mathematically represent music actually proves the point; mathematical
representation of what is in the musician's mind is just that--a
representation. So is the photograph, a drawing with light, a representation
of what the blind person sees, or experiences. It is the same with people
who can seen in the conventional sense. If we argue that a blind person
cannot legitimately take a photograph, then we have to agree that neither
can a sighted person. Why? That assumption places all the emphasis on the
mechanical function of the instrument (the camera) itself, and on the
ability of the person behind the camera to adhere to some tacit rule that
says "you have to see exactly the way the camera sees." But even with all
its technical sophistication, the camera is a dumb object. In the hands of
an artist, it becomes a tool, a paintbrush, a musical instrument.

The entire argument against accepting the work of a blind artist is based on
the assumption that the person who makes the image must be able to "see" it
as everyone else sees it, and later to enjoy it in the same sense that
everyone else enjoys it. I don't know of any artist who is worth her or his
salt that sees the outcome of the creative process in the same way that
anyone else sees it, quite to the contrary. I can say this with authority,
as I am an artist myself, and lo and behold, I have made drawings in total
darkness. Sometimes the eyes can be a hindrance in creating a work. There is
more to making an image that "copying" what one sees in the "real" world. An
image is not simply a representation, a duplicate, a photocopy of the stuff
in front of our eyes. The creation of art is about the intersection, a
conversation, between the artist's mind/spirit and spirit with some kind of
inspiration, be it the natural world, something in one's heart, mind,
imagination, memory.

The point is, Beethoven "heard" the music in his head and made notations on
paper which was later translated into sound by an orchestra. What is the
difference between his doing that, and someone who can't "see" with their
eyes creating an idea in the mind, and "representing" it on a piece of
photographic paper using a camera as a tool for drawing? And suppose someone
could create a digital image in a similar way, and later "translate" that
digital information into sound, into a musical representation of the image?
If Mozart "thought" up his music and wrote it down, how does that differ
from a blind artist's "thinking" an image and using a camera to represent
that thoughts? Conceptually there is no difference.

Kit