Subject: [Leica] Sensory deprivation
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:17:03 -0800

I have found this discussion of blind photographers and deaf musicians frustrating.
I keep waiting for the punch line but its amazing that nobodies telling
a joke!
It's got kind of a cranked up ultra PC thing about it which goes way
beyond anything resemble common sense, comes dangerously close to humor,
and then enters the bizarrely stupid zone. I keep waiting for it to get
smart and it never does with the exception of Peter Klien's statements
which I can recall. Maybe one other.

The area's open to blind people are many. If they go into writing they
can recall the colors of their youth if they could see then. On a list
of potential jobs Photography is not on it.
Sorry.
Lifes a bitch then you die if you don't go blind first.

This has an emperors new clothes feel to it. Or a "but
Mommy............" the direct common sense of a young child.

Beethoven wrote half his output deaf. From the start unlike most
composers who sat at the piano to compose Beethoven composed at his
desk. Beethoven was a towering genius who did loop de loops around his
non competition

The 9th was like Sergeant Pepper. When i came out everyone had to go
back to the recording Studio and redo all their tracks. Releases were
put on hold. Some tracks even done in other recording studios. All bets
were off it was a new world. In the Classical world it was no longer the
"classical" world. It was the "romantic" world.

That women mentioned played percussion by standing barefoot but lets not
say the orchestra has generalized open positions open to deaf people.
There will be no deaf flute players, Violin players or any other
instruments except in the percussion section.
People have tried playing Violin barefoot before and they hand out
noseplugs but it throws off the whole section. Pretty soon the musicians
union gets called in.

By the way no one talking about the person who could not taste or smell
anything who wanted to go to the chef school?!

and the person in the wheelchair who one day got sudden interest in pole vaulting?

I can give you a list of my limitations. Would not be short. A few I
could overcome with great difficulty if I tried. I try to stick with
what i can do or what i can reasonably learn how to do.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com
mark@rabinergroup.com