Subject: RE: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:53:32 -0600

kitmc@acmefoto.com (Kit McChesney | acmefoto)3/13/03

> What difference does age make?
> Or if the person was blind from birth?

Well, I find the entire discussion of blind photographers, deaf musicians,
animals typing novels, et al rather amusing. And so I ask my amused self, "If
Ludwig von were deaf from birth would he have composed music?"

I've engaged my blind friend (lost his sight in a boat racing accident when 18)
in this rather amazing discussion. He thought it would make a difference. And I
can "see" why. He believes that his mental imagery is significantly different
(and photographic in some sense) than someone blind since birth.

And I can imagine that if I lost my sight (currently 56) I could fairly easily
and probably would exercise my 35 years of professional visual experience in
directing things as Johnny has suggested. While my blind young friend, without
the experience, would have signigicantly more difficulty in doing so.

I fully accept all exceptions to all rules and conventional guidelines. However,
the specifics of age and experience would have to impact the intentions as well
as the results.

>Since
>images are themselves "created" in the mind anyway, is the ability to
>visualize predicated on having had conventional sight, that is, using
>one's
>eyes to see, or is it an ability that is innate?

I believe the ability and even the necessity to create is innate. However, as a
professional visual artist in many different media, I know full well that
whatever the mind has conceived develops in the interaction of the eyes with
what is being created. I have often, almost always, went into production with a
mental image which ends up quite different as production takes place. I don't
think many novelists have written without extensive rewrites. In 99.9% of cases
a visual artist "needs" to see the work in progress and in completion to go on
and create another - to learn.

God bless (and I marvel at) the exceptions.

> Do folks who can't see
>live
>in what we perceive as "darkness"?

My young blind friend says, "Sometimes yes, sometimes no." depending on his mood
and as the years go by - his perception changes - ask a person, blind since
birth to describe his visual perceptions - then a newly bind person. You will
receive amazing descriptions.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist

<>Peace<>   <>Harmony<>  <>Stewardship<>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975