Subject: RE: [Leica] OT Scotch
From: "WOC" <woc2@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:41:46 -0500

If you are not interested in Scotch talk, get thy finger to the delete key
now.
Well, went to the Johnny Walker dog and pony show tonight.  It was
interesting to say the least.  It started with some food and an open bar.
We got hung up in traffic due to rain, construction, and the assorted
dummies that seem to clog the road at these times.  But we did arrive in
time for the tasting.  They had 5 shots set up, 4 single malts and Black.
The singles were: Glenkinchie, Cardhu, Talisker, and Dalwhinnie.  The
Talisker was not for me.  Smokey is an understatement, tasted like it was
filtered through some well aged burned boards.  Found the Dalwhinnie to be a
very nice drink.  The JW Black was, as pointed out by more then one of the
members, so so.  They did point out that it is the best selling whiskey,
even outsells Jack Daniels.  I guess I should mention that on Tuesday night
went out with some friends and one ordered an Ambassador 25.  After a sip he
decided he really wanted some Irish coffee and offered up his drink to me.
My first response was I'm not a scotch person but on 2nd thought decided to
try it since the JW event was coming up.  Turned out I did find it to my
liking, and better then what was served up tonight.  I have no feel for the
cost of the singles that were served so the price comparison was not the
issue, just the flavor.  Not sure what I had tried in years past to close
the Scotch door so permanently for all these years but thanks to your
chatting on the LUG I decided to try it again, and I'm glad I did.
Bill