Subject: [Leica] Leica Sightings
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:05:39 -0700

Dear LUG'ers--

Just got home from the picture-show, seeing the new film with Michael Caine,
The Quiet American, based on Graham Greene's novel. Very disturbing, of
course, as it traces American involvement in politics in Vietnam in the
early 1950's.

I believe I did see a Leica in the film, and I think it was an anachronistic
touch; correct me if I'm wrong.

The film opened on a scene which was to have taken place in 1952. The Leica
I saw looked an awful lot like an M3, which, according to my book, came out
in 1954. Granted, a journalist who wielded the said camera was waving it
about pretty quickly in all the scenes (maybe that was intentional, to keep
Leica fans from being able to tell), but it appeared in enough scenes for me
to be able to get a pretty good glimpse.

I guess you will all have to go see the film to see what I mean. There was
no camera that Leica made prior to 1954 that I can find in my manual that
looked enough like the M3 for the camera in the film to have been
whatever-that-was-but-probably-wasn't. Has anyone else seen the film yet?

Kit