Subject: Re: [Leica] New and old Kodak B&W
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:16:18 -0500

Tim Atherton wrote:
> Interesting article in the new Photo Techniques. They only tested 35 mm (and
> not Tri-X 320), But found that:
>
> there was almost no difference in dev times in the emulsions they compared -
> old and new
>
> Curve characteristics old and new were almost identical.
>
> Biggest difference was grain - most emulsions were improved grain wise.
> Especially Tri-X. The Exception was T-Max400, which was now MORE grainy. In
> fact Tri-X had improved so much, it was now less grainy than T-Max400..
>
> Testing was done by the ex-kodak product developers who developed Xtol and
> other things.
>
> Be interesting to see if this holds true for sheet film
>
> BTW - they couldn't figure out where Kodak got there new, and sometimes
> wildly different development times from.
>
> Their advice was to stick with what you've always done for a said film, and
> then see if there are any big differences.

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has tried the new Tri-X and if
so, what their results are.

I read the article as well and it was kind of funny that two of Kodak's
ex-employees, who are experts in the field, couldn't figure out where
Kodak got their new wacky development times.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014