Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica ?, M5, M6TTL, or M7
From: Alan Walsh <alanwalsh@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:42:36 +1100

Bill,

Unfortunately the M5 was designed for the now largely unavailable
mercury V625 cells. Check the archives for discussions about the
availability of these batteries which are now banned in most countries.
I've received mixed advice about modifying the camera to suit newer
1.5v cells (rather than the 1.35v mercury originals). Some seem happy
with this work; others report that it is not possible. I do know that
Wein (SP?) air cells are a useable replacement, albeit with a limited
life and high cost - $5.00 per cell. I also recall some discussion that
if you use air cells, you may need to drill a small hole in the battery
cover to allow air ingress.

The good news is that if you do find the older mercury cells, they will
last seemingly forever. Mine has been going strong for four years - and
I have a spare!

Alan W