Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica DSLR
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:53:33 -0700

I am not a digital expert but from what I have heard discussed on this
list it is not going to be possible unless another chip technology
comes along. Most normal and wide M lenses have their rear elements
closer to the film plane than SLR lenses (I know it is the nodal point
that matters but let's just keep it simple). While this allows greater
freedom for the lens designer to make stunning lenses, it also means
that the corners of the negative have their light rays striking
obliquely. The present digital sensors can be compared to tiny wells
and in order for the light to get to the bottom of the well, it has to
come at the sensor straight on. So no present full frame sensor will
work with a wide angle M lens.

There is some talk of using a smaller sensor with its associated
magnification factor. I am not interested in such a compromise myself.

John Collier