Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: cheap Nikon AF body? .. for one lens only
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:41:10 -0800

on 3/23/03 8:11 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:
> The older pre AF Nikkor macros are said to be better than the AF's.

> I understand a MACRO-ELMARIT-R f/2.8/60 mm can be picked up used for the
> price of two new Leica UV filters plus one back cap!.
> A lens which, like the Zeiss Planar CFI 3.5/100 would send shivers down
> your back it's so sharp.

I have both the 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and the 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R.
Sharpness it quite comparable; color saturation and flare control, it's no
contest.  The kids get to use the Nikkor.

> You would need AF for macro? Is it going to follow a little bumble be
> going from flower to flower better then you could?

Most people I've heard from turn AF off for macro photos.  Seems silly to
seek out an AF camera for one macro lens, when AF isn't as useful for macro
work.  My Micro-Nikkor works fine on the old FG.  I wish it had DOF preview,
otherwise it's a good cheap Nikon for your macro lens.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: cheap Nikon AF body? .. for one lens only)