Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Scanner question
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:56:02 +0100

Steve,

Same thing happened to me (busted scanner). I picked up a cheap one because
I had access to a good Nikon at the office.

I bought the Minolta Scan Dual II, that was going out as the III came in.
It is basically the same scanner with new software (Digital ICE equivalent
in software, not hardware).

It's ok. It's not great. Everything I have on my PAWs after August 2002 has
been scanned with it (except for the medium format stuff).

Sometimes I feel like I wish I could get more "depth". What do they call
that: dynamic range?

But to answer you question in another way: I can scan Fujicolor 400
negatives and print them up to A4 (21x29 cm, larger than 8x10) with very
good results. I'm pretty happy with b&w too.

So, I have a lesser scanner on paper than the one you're looking at.
There's not a whole lot more to choose from in that price range.

I haven't needed to use the Nikon LS 4000 yet. So it must be fairly good.

Daniel