Subject: Re: [Leica] Daily dose of . . . Flag lore
From: "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:16:39 -0600

From: "Håkan Dennersten" <hd@hd.pp.se>

> I think the red stuff in the background is annoying.
>
> /HD

What do the red, white, and blue of the flag represent?

The Continental Congress left no record to show why it chose the colors.
However, in 1782, the Congress of the Confederation chose these same colors
for the Great Seal of the United States and listed their meaning as follows:
white to mean purity and innocence, red for valor and hardiness, and blue
for vigilance, perseverance, and justice.

According to legend, George Washington interpreted the elements of the flag
this way: the stars were taken from the sky, the red from the British
colors, and the white stripes signified the secession from the home country.
However, there is no official designation or meaning for the colors of the
flag.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/

Sonny