Subject: Re: [Leica] One last Monterey Bay Image
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:21:42 -0800

On 3/29/03 Jim Hemenway  wrote:

>Adam:
>
>So much more compelling if you had shot them in color.

I have images taken with the D30 that are in color. But because there isn't a
whole heck of a lot of light (I was shooting wide-open and pretty slow as I
recall) the images aren't as crisp as these. The jellys are moving and shooting
at less than 1/60th would be blurry I think.

For me the shading of values is what works for me.

For those who haven't been there - the Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the great
American treasures. The original part of the aquarium has the kelp forest
exhibit which is two stories high with wave motion. And then there is the
Monterey Bay tank that is even bigger.

A few years ago they opened a new annex called the Outer Bay that allows the
display of pelagic fishes like albecore and ocean sunfish. The room with the
jellys is located off this exhibit. It's all quite dark with this wonderful
illumination that flows through the tanks from above.

David Packard of HP put in about 30 million or so of his own bucks to help
finance it to support the work of his daughter, as I recall. It's money well
spent. It's an enviornment for learning that just WORKS. Lots of hands on for
the kids.

But there are serious studies going on. In one of the surf-fishing photos I
posted you can see a long building in the distance. That's MBARI - the Monterey
Bay Aquarium Research Institute. Google 'em.

So take your cameras, fast film, wide lenses and spend a few days at Monterey
Bay Aquarium. If you time your visit for a big "minus-tide" you can go out to
the tidal pools at Asilomar Beach and see in their native habitat what the
aquarium collects. We did that for 10 years on New Years Day and it was one of
the highlight memories for my kids.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and explorations with the images I posted.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] One last Monterey Bay Image)