Subject: Re: [Leica] Totally off topic.... Polaroid scanner
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:40:02 -0500

Ted:

You might want to try a Leafscan.  They cost about $19,000 when new in
the 90s but can be had now for anywhere from $500 to $1,500 US.  At
Austin's suggestion I bought mine on ebay and have never been happier
with a scanner.

Over 5000 SPI/PPI/DPI for 35mm and with great detail pickup in shadow
areas, (I'm referring to slides).  The 35mm versions are much less
expensive than the type I have which scans 35mm to 4x5.

I have a Nikon and it doesn't pick up enough shadow detail and it
sometimes gives me banding in gradient areas such as skies.
- --

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com