Subject: RE: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:09:12 -0500

It's really, really simple, Frank - a photographer takes photographs - a
single exposure of a moment in time. Photographs are generally believed
to be honest representation of the scene the photographer saw at the
moment he released the shutter. Photographers chose to be photographers,
rather than writers, and they are expected to adhere to the standards of
their craft/profession/art. The standards of photojournalism do not
allow for making composites of images you WISH you had captured, in
order to pass those images off as images you DID capture.

Sure, reporters can file skewed reports. They make decisions about what
to include, and not include, in their stories. But so do photographers.
As I stated before, they decide what to photograph - and what NOT to
photograph; they decide how to photograph it; and they decide what
images to submit for publication.

There is a huge difference between photographing selectively, and
creating images with photoshop in order to pass them off as photographs
of something that actually occurred.

It's not a question of what is in the LA Times "rule book;" it's a
question of what constitutes photojournalism, and what does not.

B. D.