Subject: Re: [Leica] Developers for Scanning Negs......was Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: Richard Wasserman <disfromage@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 21:16:48 -0600

On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 07:02  PM, Gary Williams wrote:

> I have a slightly different take on the developer discussion.  I
> abandoned
> the wet darkroom about four years ago in favor of not digital, but
> scanning
> film.  I have been using mostly XP2 Super, and having this C-41 work
> done at
> a local Wolf Camera.  But there are situations where I miss the old
> emulsions of an HP5+ or HP4+ or even Ilford Pan.   Even in my former
> silver
> based film days I was never too keen on having chemicals in the house.
> simply don't have a convenient place handle film in the dark and store
> and
> handle the stuff---and I also have several pets whom I don't wish to
> expose
> to all of this.
>
> I am looking for some direction from you guys on b&w chemistry to
> pursue
> that will provide good results with the above mentioned films,
> especially
> with regard to scanning negs, as well as minimizing health risks to my
> four
> legged friends.  If I am just being silly here let me know, otherwise
> any
> cogent suggestions on this will be most welcome.

Gary,
I can't speak about scanning, but the most benign developer that I know
of, and one of the best is Patrick Gainer's Vitamin C developer.  You
have to mix it yourself which is quite easy to do.  The formula I am
currently using is:
Water                                   1 liter
Sodium Metaborate           8grams
Ascorbic Acid                      2 grams
1% Phenidone solution   10ml

Times are similar to straight D-76.  You can also go to
unblinkingeye.com to read the original article by Pat Gainer where he
also has formulas that are measured by the spoonful.  Personally I
don't overly worry about darkroom chemicals.  I do make sure to have
adequate ventilation and will wear a dust mask when working with nasty
powders, and rubber gloves with Pyro, but once they're mixed I don't
think they are much a risk unless you drink or bathe in them.  I could
be wrong of course.  If I am I hope someone will chime in and correct
me-I'd like to know.
Richard Wasserman