Subject: Re: [Leica] Developers for Scanning Negs......was Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:32:41 -0600

At 08:02 PM 4/5/03 -0500, Gary Williams wrote:
>I am looking for some direction from you guys on b&w chemistry to pursue
>that will provide good results with the above mentioned films, especially
>with regard to scanning negs, as well as minimizing health risks to my four
>legged friends.

Since last May I have been using DiXactol (one shot) with HP5+ and TriX.  I
have scanned about 70 rolls of film with this combination and I love it!  I
didn't think too much of DiXactol when it first came out -- it took me a
while to get used to it, and I never tried using it as a two bath process.

The scans I make are at 1200 dpi on a Canon FS4000DS scanner, that will go
up to 2400 if necessary, and I use Leica lenses mainly now in 35mm.
Haven't touched my Canon lenses in a few years.

I scan the negs at 24 bit as colour negatives, then convert to greyscale
with PShop.  The final prints are reduced to about 4x6" or smaller at 300
dpi, and they look very nice in publication.

Regarding the health risk issue, you should be aware that most developers,
even ones like metol and hydroquinone pose health risks.  DiXactol is a
Catechol-based developer, so it should be used with darkroom gloves,
following standard lab safety procedures. It comes premixed, so you don't
have the worry of inhaling powders.

  _
 |_|
 [o] - GH