Subject: [Leica] hand-held exposure rule
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 13:47:09 -0700

Roland wrote:
<snip>
Does the "hand held focal length equals shutter speed rule" work for lenses
200mm and greater on a Leica rangefinder body?
<snip>
Some years ago I tested that rule of thumb with my M6, using the latest
models 90mm Elmarit and the 50mm Summicron. For the test I selected a wire
mesh fence, topped with barbed wire, that surrounds a nearby electric
substation (I wouldn't do this today) because I could not find a textbook
white picket fence. I photographed a segment of fence and barbed wire from a
distance of 10 meters, first with the M6 on a tripod an then hand-held. For
each series I made one exposure on Delta 100 at each shutter speed from
1/1000 sec to 1/15 sec. I wrote each shutter speed on a sign that I hung on
the fence so that I would be included in the image.
I had the film developed by a custom lab and viewed the frames, projected
onto an easel, with the lab's grain analyzer. I found visible differences in
sharpness between the images from hand-held and tripod-mounted exposures at
all shutter speeds slower than 1/250 sec. I did not repeat the experiment at
smaller magnifications. Your mileage may vary.
Oliver Bryk

Replies: Reply from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> (Re: [Leica] hand-held exposure rule)