Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Using a 400 Telyt
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Doug... is this primarily a lens for focusing on a single
> spot, with minor adjustments made ?  I can't see this used at
> a ball game where the focus is all over the place and requires
> constant major changes......

It takes some practice but it can be used for focus all over the place... but I wouldn't use it hand-held.  I use either a monopod or tripod with the Televit lenses.  On the left side of the Televit are some focus limiters, those knobs below the main tube of the lens barrel.  These can be set to known locations, i.e., home plate, bullpen, whatever, so the lens can be focussed quickly to these stops.

> BTW, the lens ( mounted for use on a Nikon) was really
> contrasty .... and remarkably bright for an F5.6 lens... I was
> surprised....

Yup, there are advantages to a simple optical design.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com