Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ideal bag for M6 & 35mm ASPH
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:36:11 -0700

At 04:25 PM 4/13/03 -0700, Kit McChesney wrote:
>I'd like to have a bag that will
>take my M and a couple of lenses, some film, my cell phone, and a few other
>small goodies (lemon drops!) because I know if I carry anything larger than
>that, I won't.

I have a small Lowepro fanny pack, but I've stopped using it except for
hiking.  To get at anything, you have to swing it to the front, where it
tends to accent one of the less desirable aspects of middle age.  While
trekking about Italy a couple of years back, I saw myself in a large
mirror.  It was decidedly "molto belly" rather than "molto belle."

I've heard all the "yuppie scum" connotations of the Billingham bags.  But
one day, I was browsing at Glazer's here in Seattle, and came upon a small
Hadley.  Nylon duck with leather straps.  Kahki-colored with two front
pockets.  I tried it on.  It felt great.  I put a couple of heavy objects
in it, it still felt great.  It was a "demo" with a couple of small spots
of dirt visible.  It was 45% off.  I said "mine" and headed for the
cashier.  They even threw in an extra generic padded divider so I had three
compartments instead of two.

No regrets.  I'm a 35-50-90 kinda guy.  This bag holds one body and those
three lenses (plus a fourth if I use a back-to-back end cap).  Plus a light
meter and a few filters, camera clamp and sundries. It's nicely padded, and
it really contours nicely to my body.  Some day I'll get it dirty enough.

I think people should try bags on, and buy them based on what they will
carry and how they feel when hung upon the wearer.   Bags are like
clothes.  There's the functional aspect, the comfort aspect, and the
"impress others" aspect.  I picked the Hadley for its comfort and
function.  As for the fashion stuff:  Like, y'know, whatever.

Although I must confess, a black Domke can look quite fetching when the
accompanying clothing is chosen properly.  Here's one modeled by our own
Nathan Wajsman during the delightful Zurich walking tour he took Katya and
me on last spring.  Photo slightly underexposed, but you get the point. . .
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/switzerland/nathanstore.htm

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Ideal bag for M6 & 35mm ASPH)