Subject: RE: [Leica] late night surfing
From: "David Rodgers" <drodgers1@lightcurves.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:05:09 -0700

Adam,

At 02:56 PM 4/14/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I've often wondered at the quality of some of the big prime Panavision > lenses used for motion pictures. Some of them must be pretty terrific > pieces of glass considering.

Can't see it well, but on the left edge of this photograph is a big aluminum case with 3 gorgeous lenses for the Panavision camera, also visable.

http://www.lightcurves.com/images/set_2.jpg

I wondered the same thing you did when I saw the lenses. The focus puller treated them like they were worth a million bucks. For all I know they probably were. You can see the focus puller in the background (center, white hair). He's measuring distances using a tape measure. He marked the lens for each focus point in the sequence, using a small piece of tape. Talk about exacting focus.

I took this photo, BTW, on the set of "The Hunted".  This was "the manhole scene" which was part of the main chase scene. It was filmed in Portland two years ago, but just released on screen last month. I wanted to photograph Benecio Del Toro when tossed his orange hard hat in the scene. All I had with me was a 15 heliar, but he was only 5 feet away. I couldn't photograph during the filming, though.

Technical info: M6, 15mm Heliar, E100VS. (sorry but not the best job of scanning)

DaveR