Subject: [Leica] Diopters & the 1.25 magnifier
From: "Dave Olson" <ckrosebud@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:16:50 +0000

This pertains primarily to those of us, regardless of years who wear
glasses. If you wear contacts you can probably skip the diopter part. Having
worn glasses and contacts since the 2nd grade, many years ago I'm aquainted
with the drawbacks. In my mid-40s came the news it was time for bifocals.
Like many photographers I had looked at Leicas early on but found with
glasses it wasn't worth the trouble. Since buying my first Leica and then my
second M6 TTL I have invested in both the correct leica diopter and the 1.25
magnifier for both an 0.58 and the 0.85. Field of vision in the finder is
what a person with normal vision would experience. The 1.25 magnifier helps
the eyes as they approach their 60th anniversary. On the 0.58 the
magification becomes a 0.72 and the 0.85 becomes a 1.06, or slightly larger
than life size. The magnifier would probably assist everyone in creating
sharper focused shots.
My 2 cents from the office.