Subject: [Leica] Incident vs Reflective
From: "Dave Olson" <ckrosebud@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:34:46 +0000

To Langhans

With regard to back lighting we all know that normally the subject in the
compiosition needs to be metered up close, or use partial or spot with
reflective built-in. If you measure the bright area behind or surrounding
you will achieve a nice outline and the features/details of the subject are
either indistinct or blacked out. With incident metering and you don't want
"exact" exposure of the subject, getting next to it and positioning the
meter toward the camera, try using the memory feature. Meter the subject,
then stand behind the subject and point the meter half toward toward the
back of the subject. The point is to meter several different readings for a
balance. Or meter, reflectively, the bright area and then vary your
aperature. Remembering that to increase the detail on the subject you will
need to open up. I think you can achieve what you like if you experiment
with this technique or the other. I'm a firm believer in experimenting,
particularly as I shoot chromes almost exclusively and they arevery
unforgiving. Taking several different readings will also show you the
lattitude you have to work with depending on film type.
From the office on Friday morning.