Subject: [Leica] Exposure latitude of DSLR's
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:57:28 -0400

Last week I had the opportunity to borrow a camera similar to Kyle's Leica
D100 :0.  When looking at the images I noticed that I had to do an amazing
amount of exposure compensation to maintain a good histogram.  This was far
more that adding or subtracting exposure due to items in a scene.  I was
having to subtract 1.7 stops just to take a picture of a red tulip in open
shade.

My second discovery was that I had to adjust white balance constantly to
maintain a decent color cast in the image.  I was wandering aimlessly
through a forest  using the camera like I always use a film camera with the
added benefit of looking at the screen after a shot.

My impressions were that in a non studio, non dedicated flash situation, the
DSLR was an incredible PAITA.  I recognize that once I had set up for a
situation there were benefits to the post-view, but catching situations on
the fly would not be easy.

My question is, was this camera typical, or is the exposure/white balance
dance typical of DSLR usage?  In other words, more things to learn, more
equipment to carry, more batteries to charge.  Compensation would be knowing
I got the shot, and not waiting to process film.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com